Reggae Inna My Life
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reggae Inna My Life  (Read 5559 times)
king jamma
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:43:29 am »

Started by seeing Third World, while walking through the streets, playing at a festival, as I recall, when I was 7 years old. They were a small act back then, little known. I recall wondering about the big hats, (LOL) like I have now.  laugh

A few years later we were listening to Ub40, and Bob. Late grade school days, 8th grade and pre-high school. By then I had seen every type of rock and RandB act/band you can imagine from back then, even stuff I didn't wish to see, just wanted musical education. I always watched the setup from start to pack-up, the soundmen and staff/crew. There was a small place in town with the hottest roots music, and I was always there, grew up in the, with little known acts like majestic lion, to big acts like Burning Spear. It was a whole new world to be discovered, though I had traveled with the Grateful Dead (70something shows), and my punk rock and progressive music days, classical music training, orchestral studies.. Reggae was always where my heart was.
I recall the early roots, Melodians, Jimmy Cliff, Bob, many others  Then along came Steel Pulse. Mutabaruka, Black Uhuru, powerful music which was taking reggae to a new, renewed direction with a conscious message. Through the 80s I fell further away from rock and dove deeper into worldbeat, african, my native american roots music, and many others.
For a few years, little new came along with a real impact, it feels, but then, around '93, you had these artists like Luciano, Sizzla, and a host of others I could list for hours and hours... it's like reggae was going through a rebirth. And it continues to. I continue to enjoy reggae bands, and riddims alike.... I listen just now to a few rythym disks and tell you what, reggae keeps getting stronger and stronger.

may it stay alive forever, and continue to drive me to introspective thought about myself and life, where I'm going, where I've been, and what more I can do to make the world a better place, just like it always has along this path of life, for which I am thankful. And thanks to all of you and this place for helping me stay there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:52:52 am by ~LOVE~ »
mike4476

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 06:30:38 pm »

nice
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: